An article on Tom’s Hardware that I helped with was posted yesterday. It’s about Wi-Fi, it’s problems, why your Wi-Fi sucks and what can be done about it. If you’re interested go ahead and read it. Please suffer through the format as it’s actually a pretty good read, but if you glaze over tech stuff just go look at the images I did for the article. I’m quite pleased with a couple of them. There’s 27 pages in the article, each with a picture (see why I said to suffer through the format?). Specifically, I did the images for pages 1, 21, and 23-26. tip: most have a “zoom” option if you hover over the image
Page 1 and 26 I think are my favorites. Page 1 (shown above) because of how it turned out and page 26 is an homage to XKCD. Page 21 has been dubbed the FrankenAP. I’m not thrilled with page 25 (the two iPads in different orientations) but there were time constraints and limitations in the room setup, and that was even the second time I shot that particular concept. Funny behind-the-scenes note about page 25. I was using a mini-bagel between the stand and the iPad to keep the iPad from leaning back and catching a glare from the overhead fluorescent lights.
This one is called an "executive toy". I think executives are easily amused. If I were an executive I’d have to have something a little more stimulating. Like a redhead. Umm, I mean a red convertible. Yeah. That’s what I meant. 🙂
A "yapping crow" a dinosaur and a white rabbit. All late for a very important date. :). The crow does yap and maybe someday, though unlikely, I’ll take some time to record the videos bouncing around in my head for these little folded pieces of tree guts. Heh.
I recently undid all my MacPorts and started using Homebrew for some software on my Macs. That meant uninstalling the Apache MacPort and switching back to the default Snow Leopard version of Apache. Everything went relatively smoothly but today a noticed that my Passenger prefpane wasn’t listing all the Rails sites it had previously been managing.
Turns out it was because in my original install of the prefpane I had used the “ports” version of a required ruby file, per instructions, since I was using the MacPort version of Apache. The easy fix is to just reinstall the prefpane. All of my sites now show up in the site listing and I can add the new site I’m currently developing.
Recently, at work, I’d decided it was time to deal with my MySQL charset problems. In most places my server db was set to a latin1 charset. Unfortunately, someone who maintains content has been pasting unicode characters in. While my public websites display the information correctly, when I synced the content to my local development computer those unicode characters would display incorrectly. The image below shows the comparison.